Finally, my website is online. Not all of the things I wanted to happen did happen in the end, but all the important features did. I’ve heard a picture is worth a thousand words, so I’ll be lazy and give you a bunch of screenshots to look at XD
Screenshots and some details
I learnt HTML and CSS on the go as I was making this website, so it took some time, and a lot of research, but it was very fun, which was the real goal here. It’s also a helpful thing to be able to do, both for employment reasons, and just for personal interest. The only thing that I didn’t manage to get done was integrating it with this blog, because I eventually figured it was more trouble than it was worth, but I may yet do it at a later time, when I have more time 🙂
The site is available at hamishmb.altervista.org, and works on all good browsers, as well as Internet Explorer 8 or higher (though it works much better on 9).
The difficulties in making it
Obviously, learning PHP and HTML come first on this list, but let’s ignore those. The main bug bear I had while writing it was the download counters, which never ceased to be awkward. It involved a lot of repetitive code, and recursively creating .counter files, and when I actually got it on my webserver, it wouldn’t work! After doing some other work though, they just magically started working. I created a support request for this, so it’s possible some helpful admin just fixed some config for me and made it work, and if so, thank you 🙂
This is just a little post this time around, but I have some more things I want to write about, notably Unity 8, and Wayland/Mir.